The Maastricht Visitor Center is located in the Dinghuis in Maastricht, a building with a long history. The name 'Dinghuis' comes from the Dutch dingen, which means 'to administer judgement' and which is still used in a different iteration today (geding). The building dates from 1470. In the Middle Ages, it housed two courts: one for Brabant and one for Liège. At the time, Maastricht was partly governed by the Duke of Brabant and partly by the prince-bishop of Liege. In 1664, the courts relocated to the new city hall on Markt square. This joint sovereignty can still be seen today in both the interior and the exterior of the city hall.
Carousel, use arrow keys to navigate.