The Jan van Eyck Academie is an international post-academic institute for the visual arts. It is located in a building that dates from the late ‘50s/early ‘60s, designed by architect Frits Peutz, and is a municipal monument. The Academie offers residencies to visual artists, designers, architects, curators, poets, and writers. At the Jan van Eyck Academie / Margaret van Eyck Academie, they are given the space and time to develop their talents. The Van Eyck has a number of workshops for technical experiments using various materials and techniques. Around forty artists work at the Academie each year, and they may be engaged in the fields of visual arts, woodwork and metalwork, film, video and photography, or writing and poetry.
Jan Van Eyck (circa 1390-1441) was court painter to the Burgundian duke Philip the Good (1396-1467). The flamboyant duke and his companions surrounded themselves with the best artists.